Green jobs are decent jobs that contribute to preserve or restore the environment, be they in traditional sectors such as manufacturing and construction, or in new, emerging green sectors such as renewable energy and energy efficiency. Green jobs help improve energy and raw materials efficiency.
African Development Bank’s Climate and Green Growth Division is recruiting!!!
This Division is responsible for ensuring that all efforts within the Bank are focused on minimizing and reversing the effects of Climate Change on the continent. Their duties also cover educating Regional Member Countries on climate and green growth policies and strategies.
Position title: Principal Climate Change and Green Growth Officer
The position holder would be supervised by the Manager, Green Growth and Climate Adaptation. He or She would assist in ensuring that the Bank’s commitments as stated in the Climate Change Action Plan are met. The position holder will work with Task Managers and Investment Officers to ensure that all projects are based on climate-informed design and that climate change opportunities are recognized in each project.
Under the overall supervision and general guidance of the Division Manager, the staff will perform the following:
1. Climate change and green growth policy:
Support the mainstreaming of climate change into Country Strategy Papers
Support the preparation of climate change/green growth action plans, documents, reports, operational guidelines, tools as requested by senior management
Support the monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP) and the Green Growth Framework and related policies and strategies;
Support the tracking and reporting on climate finance;
2. Mainstreaming climate change and green growth in projects and programmes
Support the mainstreaming, implementation and monitoring of climate change and green growth considerations/elements in Bank’s operations;
Support the implementation of the climate risk screening and Adaptation Review and Evaluation Procedures (AREP) functions of the Climate Safeguards System (CSS), and the Bank’s Green House Gas Accounting tool for projects;
Support Bank’s task managers and investment officers to access climate finance from both internal and external trust funds for the implementation of eligible project components and activities in close collaboration with Climate Finance Officers, including participation in Trust Fund cluster meetings;
Contribute to other climate change and green growth initiatives and activities carried out by the Department such as the Africa NDC Hub, and
Liaise with other lenders to ensure consistency in the mainstreaming of climate change and green growth concerns throughout all aspects of the documentation for projects;
3. Capacity building and Knowledge Management:
Identify, assess, and monitor capacity building needs on climate change and green growth in the regional hub, including relevant RMCs
Support the design and organisation of training sessions for Bank staff and their counterparts in RMCs in the assessment and analysis of climate change and green growth issues in projects and programs (including the understanding of stakeholder needs; institutional and organization issues; and impact monitoring and evaluation of outcomes);
Participate in and contribute to internal and external trainings and conferences on climate change and green growth as well as in other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building;
Develop and/or contribute to the development of innovative knowledge products on sustainability, climate change and green growth; and
Develop Economic and Sector Works (ESWs) on climate change and green growth;
- At least a Master’s Degree in any of the following; Climate Change, Environment and Development, Natural Resource Management, Sustainable Development, Engineering, Energy economics and policy, Environmental Policy or related disciplines.
- A minimum of Six (6) Years work experience in a combination of climate change related areas
- An excellent knowledge and practice of mainstreaming climate change and green growth as well as a good understanding of project operations of multilateral development banks or equivalent institutions
- Experience in mobilizing climate finance for project implementation, climate risk management, and project management;
- Field operational experience in the area of implementing environmental policies, climate change adaptation and mitigation and green growth;
- Well-rounded understanding of critical issues in sustainable development, emerging climate change issues, green growth and sustainability concerns;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French, with a working knowledge of English.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications.